Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Writing

I’m afraid I’ve been a bit useless when it comes to writing while I’ve been away on vacation. I had all the good intentions in the world before I went to Playa Del Ingles that I would try to get a bit of writing done, and all I managed was about 10 pages in my notebook, and these pages aren’t really that big. I did come up with an idea for a new story, not sure if it’ll be a short story or a novel yet, but it’s an idea I’ve found intriguing so far, and I’ve been working a bit on that. It’s kind of a creepy story, taking place on Playa Del Ingles and in Dunes & Tunes actually. I might be showing you an early draft of a few paragraphs of it in the next couple of days, or I might not – I am not always comfortable showing early drafts of things to people, especially when I’m not sure if the idea is going to develop into something more than the few paragraphs. So far I’ve got 4 pages of notes and several paragraphs from different places in the story.

And I’m not even sure if I’ll have time to work on this story now. I definitely have to finish my final dissertation for the MA and get that sent to England, and I am eager to get started on the second novel in my Viking Series. I’m pretty sure I’ll be writing the second book even if Schibsted should decide that they don’t want to publish my novel “The Battle”. I’ve had such good feedback on this story, I am actually quite confident that if this publisher doesn’t want it – I will be able to find one that does, eventually, and then being able to present book number two at pretty much the same time might be a plus.

I am trying to put the competition out of my head, because the beginning of July seems to be such a long time away, yet, and I don’t even know what they mean by the beginning of July, is that the 1st or the 14th – the difference is 2 weeks long!!

What I will be doing now that I’m back home again is to try and set some kind of daily schedule for myself that involves at least 3 – 4 hours of writing every day from Monday to Friday. By experience it’s just too easy to get up each morning and then suddenly the evening is here and I find that I’ve done nothing to be proud of that day.

Hmmm, don’t think about the competition, don’t think about the competition, don’t think about the competition….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home