Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

About carrying water melons

Since my head feels kind of empty these days, I thought I’d make a post today explaining the expression “I carried a water melon” for those of you unfamiliar with the phrase.

This is a fairly well knows phrase among girls. It is taken from the all time big romantic movie “Dirty Dancing”, the first time the young female character, Baby, meets, the hot male character Johnny. Baby is a guest at this big luxury holiday resort, and one evening she sneaks away from the resort and ends up in the servants’ quarters, where she helps one of the servants carrying watermelons to a dance party that the servants are having. When she enters the big room, Johnny is there doing the “dirty dancing” – and when she is introduced to him, he asks the person who brought her there what she’s doing there since guests are not allowed to mingle with the help – and to this Baby answers: “I carried a water melon”. Johnny is obviously not impressed by the answer, and as he turns away, we watch Baby kicking herself for what she said.

Me and my girl friends now use the phrase for whenever we meet a guy we really really like, and whom we want to impress by saying something really clever and cool, but instead end up saying something really stupid. I find that most girls totally understand if I tell them that I met this really cool guy, but when I was talking with him, I ended up carrying watermelons! Most guys how ever are not that familiar with the phrase – but, now I’ve given the explanation here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home