Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Belgium

I’m back from Belgium now, and I thought I should write a few words about it.

We stayed one night in Namur:
Grey, dull, partly ugly place.
We stayed four nights in Oostende:
Grey, dull, partly ugly place – but with a very good choice of restaurants and a huge night life in the summer.

I can’t really judge Belgium when I’ve only see two cities and the highway between them, but other people have told me that Belgium is in fact not a very beautiful country, and from what I have seen I’ll have to agree; most of the buildings in Namur and Oostende were probably from the mid 1900s or later, they were kind of off-white/greyish and didn’t give their cities any charm or life at all. I could never ever imagine myself living in these places, and for example when I visited Bamberg I really thought to myself that this really is a place I could imagine living, it really was that beautiful and charming.

My short visit to Belgium has not at all made want to go back there, which might be a shame because there probably are (has to be!!?) some beautiful places that I could be missing out on.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos from Oostende, taken from the balcony of our room:











And here's a photo that I took while standing on the beach looking to England, seeing the ferry crossing and thinking I'd much rather be on that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home