Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Falling in love with Bamberg


When in Germany this year I finally had a chance to visit Bamberg, a very old world heritage city – and how beautiful and charming it was too! There are so many buildings, old churches and narrow alleys, I think I could’ve walked around there for days just exploring it – and sensing the place. Once again I found myself not seeing what is now but what might have been many hundred years ago. When I visited the Eremitage in Bayereuth and “visited” the past I “saw” the place through the eyes of the “mark gräfin” and got this feeling of solitude and loneliness, walking around her large gardens, among all the beauty, but alone.

In Bamberg the streets of the old days seemed crowded to me, lots of strange sounds and smells that was not there today but probably would have bee at some point. Poor people in poor clothing without shoes begging in the streets, monks – strict ones – from all the churches, and rich people in carriages or on horses fighting their ways through the crowded streets that would be buzzing with life. That is what I “saw”.

I did of course take some photos but once again found it completely impossible to capture the sense and feel of the place. You’ve just got to be there!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice images. If the writing does not work out you can always try photography!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home