Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Home is where the heart is...

The last week’s weather has been marvellous here in England, at least for a person from Norway who is not expecting this kind of weather for another month or two! Today’s forecast says 16 degree, so far I’ve only seen 12 of them but I’m heading out for a walk in a couple of minutes so I might find the other 4 then.

I must admit to having been a bit homesick the last couple of weeks, or no, correction: I have not been homesick as in wanting to go back to Norway; the weather here is so much better than there this time of year, so sorry Norway – but not missing the country so much as such. But I have been missing friends and family. It might be the nice warm weather that’s doing it. You should think that it would make me happy, and it does, but it also makes me wish for those I love and care for to be able to experience it too, preferable with me, against a wall outside a pub drinking this year’s first outdoor pint of beer. I still haven’t had one, even though the weather really is demanding one – but I’m not one for going on drinking on my own. I go for walks alone in the sunny nice weather every day, and I stare longingly at the people sitting outside pubs and cafés drinking cold beer in company of friends and wishing it was me. I do have friends over here; we just never seem to get around to drinking beer in pubs that much. And from many years of experience with my Norwegian friends I always know who can be lured outside for a beer on days like these. Of course had we all been in Norway this would probably not been the right time of year for drinking beer outside so there this problem would still not have occurred to me…

Anyway, enough talk about beer… I have been able to do quite a lot of writing lately. I’ve been writing for at least a three – four hours almost every day. Last week I think I reached about 10 000 words in total over the whole week, and I will be getting the same good result this week I think. I’m doing my Dreamland novel chapter by chapter, and this new Viking story that I’m writing, called “The Battle” is really coming along nicely too. At first I thought it was going to be a short story, now I know that it will at least be one novel, maybe more, and I love it. I actually love it so much that I have now started to think that I might choose to work on “The Battle” for my final dissertation and not “Dreamland” which I’ve been planning all along. This is a bit confusing, because there has not at any point up until now been any doubt in my mind that “Dreamland” was what I would do for the dissertation, and then suddenly this last week I’ve been starting to think otherwise.

Oh, well, I’ll let you know what I decide!

Now I’m heading out for a walk in the sun, not enjoying any nice cold pints of beer on the way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home