Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Monday, February 05, 2007

6642

That number describes how many words I’ve written on my new story “The Battle” today. Sounds amazing doesn’t it? I guess it is amazing for one day’s work. The problem is that if you were to check just how much I’ve written during the whole of last week, well, the total would still only be six thousand six hundred and forty-two. To my defence I must say that I have been doing a lot of research though before I started writing this story.

It is something I’m doing for one of the modules this semester “Sources and Transformations”. We should be writing either a biography, an autobiography, a story based on historical persons, an historical event, myths, a special time in history… And I’ve decided that I want to do a story set in the Viking Age, 800 – 1050 AD. So far I think this will be a love story that has got not much to do with neither fantasy nor sci-fi which are my “normal” genres.

The first draft is finished and it is… very much a first draft. I am not by far certain that this story will be told through the eyes of the character I’ve told it so far, or that it will be the third person point of view which has been my first choice. I am very relieved however that I was finally able to sit down and write a draft. The sentences are far from perfect, many or the words are not near being what they are supposed to be, but I have began a new story – and the feeling that gives me… Even though I am a writer I just can’t find the words to describe it, it’s such a rush, such a high, so much joy, uplifting, like a burden has been lifted from my shoulders! Now I will just have to keep at it and try to make it into what it is supposed to be, but getting the first draft down on paper is always the most dreaded thing and one of the most difficult of the whole writing process, and for this story, I’m past that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home