Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Monday, June 18, 2007

The strangest thing

Well, not really the strangest thing, but still, a bit strange…

When I moved back to Norway from England on the 25th of May I had a bit of a negative surprise at the airport. I had known for quite a while that I would have about 25 – 30 kg over weight to bring on the plane. Because of this I did check with several companies, among those, how much they would charge to bring a suitcase to Norway for me, the best offer was about 80 NOK/kg (£1 = approx 12,3 NOK, 1 Euro = approx 8 NOK). But when I checked SAS’ website, which I was encouraged to do when I got the confirmation email on my booking, their information said that they would only charge 40 NOK/kg, so I decided to haul the extra suitcase back to Norway myself.

On the 25th of May I got to the airport about 3 hours before my flight. I know from previous experiences that travelling with extra luggage can be time consuming, where you usually will have to go to one place to check in and have your luggage weighed, then you have to go somewhere else to pay the extra charge, then you have go to back to the first place to finally get your luggage checked in. This was also the system at Heathrow terminal 3. And I was happy and prepared to pay the extra charges, and suddenly not so happy when SAS’ representative behind the counter informed me that the cost now was 80 NOK/kg. I protested a bit and said that this was not the information on their website, but she just said that the rates had changed over a month ago and there was nothing she could do about it. Obviously I didn’t really have much other choice than to pay the charge – suddenly not so happy anymore.

When I got home to Norway I went on SAS’ website again, to find that the rate quoted there was still 40 NOK/kg. This made me a bit… not exactly angry, but a bit annoyed. I used a form on their website where you can either make a complaint or complement about their services, and told them that I thought their customer service sucked. I explained all about how I had actually considered using other means of transport for my luggage but that I had ended up using them because of the false information on their website. And then I went on vacation to Playa Del Ingles and pretty much forgot all about it.

Today a nice lady from SAS suddenly called me. She said she was sorry that it had taken so long to get back to me, but if I would be as kind as to give her my account number she would transfer 930 NOK into my account in the next couple of days! They agreed that the fault had been theirs and that I shouldn’t have had to pay the extra charge!

What can I say but wow! I wouldn’t have believed it before I experienced it myself. And I went onto their website later today and checked, and yes, their website is now updated and now you will have to pay 80 NOK/kg when travelling with too much luggage around Europe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home