Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Change of plans

As I’ve been writing here earlier I was planning to go to England and Chichester from the 14th to 16th of August to view some potential properties for rent when I move there – well today I’ve cancelled this trip the reason being that there are no properties available that I can see when I’m there.

I thought about going anyway, thinking that it might be a good idea to walk around to the different letting agencies, giving them my documents that prove my income and so on, and I probably would have if it had not been for the recent developments in the last days on the terrorist front.

No, I’m not very worried about the actually flying thing, I am probably naïve but I really can’t imagine that any terrorists could be bothered to enter a plane between Norway and England to “do their thing”. What I am worried about is that like an episode of Twilight Zone I might get stuck in Heathrow never to get out of there again, not on my way to England but on my way home.

I do also firmly believe in the “crookedness of men”, which means that I think there are bad people every where, probably working as baggage crew in both Heathrow and Gardermoen as well. What they will find now is that almost every suitcase will carry: mobile phones, iPods, laptops and lots of other expensive equipment – all up for grabs! Anyone wants to make a bet that the amount of suitcases disappearing, never to be seen again, in airports will increase a lot in the next couple of weeks??? I don’t particularly feel like sending my 3500 NOK worth of mobile phone, and my 1500 NOK worth of iPod in my suitcase from Heathrow to Norway so…. Another reason for cancelling this trip.

Fortunately so far there are no new regulations on what you can carry on board in your hand luggage on flights FROM Norway to England, which means that when I move there in September I will get to carry my laptop, mobile phone, iPod and other stuff on board. When I get as far as to Christmas and I want to go back home for the holidays, if the restrictions still demand me putting all my valuable stuff in the suitcase to fly, well, then I simply won’t fly. Then a train trip to New Castle and the ferry to Bergen sounds like a pretty good idea to me – and then a plane from Bergen to Oslo. Will cost me a bit more probably and will take a bit more time, but I do think it’s worth it.

And don’t get me wrong here, I do understand why the British authorities find it necessary to try to do something to stop the terrorists, and they did a great job arresting those bastards before the weekend before they got the chance to kill thousands of mostly innocent people. Still, I can’t help but think that all this security measures it just gives people travelling some kind of false security, because I still believe that the really evil people, they will find a way to “do their thing” even when all of us others, mostly not so evil people, find we must be X-rayed before getting on a plane, and then having to take all our clothes off and fly naked to make sure we can’t really hide anything anywhere on or inside our bodies.

So, my plans have been changed. Now I’m looking into B&Bs in Chichester that I can book myself into for the first couple of weeks in September until I will hopefully find and rent a more permanent place of residence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home