Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

12 month contracts……

I thought it might be a problem for me getting broadband installed at my new place. Most broadband companies demand that you sign a 12 month contract before they will install broadband for you, I have found a couple that don’t, they however demand that you have a British Telecom phone line to get broadband. British Telecom on their side demands that you sign a 12 month contract with them before they will install a phone line to your house!! See where this could go very wrong???

Oh, well, fortunately I was able to keep the phone line that’s already installed in the house I’m renting and yesterday I ordered broadband from Virgin who doesn’t demand that you sign a 12 month contract (they do however charge you £50 if you cancel the contract within a year, but I guess I’ll just have to live with that!) and I got an email today saying that my phone line will be upgraded and ready for broadband use on Monday the 22nd.

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I’m looking forward to that.

Another really good thing that I recently learned about is this:
At my house when I moved in there was only 4 TV channels. When I searched the internet to see what options I had in ordering more TV channels through different companies as for example Sky TV it seemed like everyone demanded that you sign a 12 month contract!!! (heard that before??) Then a friend told me that I could buy this little box at the cost of about £30, a one-off payment, and I would have 30 new channels. At first I could not believe it was that simple – but you know what, it was! I stopped by Woolworth on Sunday, bought this Freeview box for £27, hooked it up to my kitchen TV and it works great!! So now I’m so happy because I can keep up my habit of being a TV-slave here in England as well! The only thing I miss now is the Eurosport channel which would have given me the chance to watch winter sports, that’s not on any of the Freeview channels. But I guess you can’t have everything, can you? I guess I’ll have to settle for having 98% of what I want!

Not bad, is it?

And I’m expecting my first visitor from Norway next weekend when I’m having a small birthday celebration here in England, really looking forward to that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home