Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Sunday, December 17, 2006

A long day’s journey

I got up this morning at around 10 and soon after that this started looking like a really bad day. How I knew? Well, the women’s cross country team were really bad in their relay competition. Next team up was the women’s biathlon team, also in a relay competition – and they were just awful. I had great expectations for the men’s cross country team in their relay competition, but for a very long time it looked like this wasn’t their day either – and then, suddenly this day started to change. The men came in as number two, which was amazing considering they’d been down to both 9th and 10th place during the competition.

Sometimes I like to watch ski jumping other times I don’t. Today I was expecting to watch the men’s biathlon team in their relay competition at 2 pm, but those in charge of these things on TV had decided to show the ski jumping competition instead and send the biathlon competition later. This as it turned out was not a bad thing, as the Norwegian Anders Jacobsen won this competition, which is also truly amazing. Before this season started most people had never heard about him, this is his first season on the ski jumping team and his been among the top three in every competition – and today he won!

Finally we got as far as to the biathlon competition, and I didn’t really dare to hope for anything great, but I had to watch because I just love this sport, it’s my favourite – next to handball. It turned out to be a truly exciting competition, and once again, amazingly, Norway actually ended up winning.

I went directly from watching the biathletes to the European Championship Final where Norway met Russia. Guess what! Yes, after a really thrilling match, we won again!

So, this started out looking like a rather bad day in sports for Norwegian competitors, and now all I can say is that it has been a really great day – and totally worth it, all the hours I’ve spent watching TV and not doing other things! (that probably need to be done too, but who cares – I feel great after all our wins today!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home