Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Friday, September 26, 2008

Almost finally weekend…

Except that it doesn’t really feel like a proper weekend when you have to work for most of it. This time it’s my studies that will keep me occupied, but I will also have to give some thought to book number 6 and number 9.


I met with my editor earlier this week, and we talked about some things that I clearly see will make book 6 a much better book. So now I’ve got some redrafting to do. Some might think this tedious work, but it really isn’t. I know that there are some people out there who think that this kind of literature isn’t of the proper noteworthy kind, that’s their opinion – but there are a lot of people who really appreciate books of this kind, and they deserve my best work in every book I write. And it really is satisfying when someone points out to me things that will make the story better, all sorts of things that will make the story a more interesting experience to the reader. So that’s one of the reasons why it is kind of fun to redraft. Another reason is that the “anxiety” isn’t there when you redraft. I’m mostly not that anxious about my writing, but of course, occasionally the thought will also pop into my head: “what if I suddenly can’t do this?”. Especially when writing a new book this thought can suddenly appear, but when I’m redrafting I don’t have to worry, because the story is already there.


But, book number 9 is slowly rising on the horizon. During the last couple of days I’ve been making notes for this book. I rarely sit down to write the story itself till the last week or ten days before a deadline. I am a very fast typer, so when the story is firmly planted in my mind it is not a problem to write several thousand words a day. But before I get to the actual writing part I have to think, and research, and think, and research, some times even draw a little, make maps and sketches of houses – and some times I have to try things out with my own hands to see what works and no. All this is part of the process of getting a book down on paper. The basic story for book number 9 is already there; I know where it starts and where it ends, and much of what happens in between – but now I’m working on finding all the smaller stories and details that I ad into it to make it a good and interesting book. And that’s what I’m doing these days, next to trying to stay on top of my studies.


I am also trying not to think too much about the fact that the launch date for book 1 is drawing closer, it’s one month tomorrow to be exact. It is very exciting, a bit scary – but mostly feels so good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home