Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Eurovision: Portugal, Estonia and United Kingdom

Sorry about suddenly ending up with a week’s delay in my Eurovision posting, but Easter happened and… thank God I had better things to do than being on the internet every day. Actually, for the first time in very many I didn’t turn my computer on at all for 3 days, that’s a new record for me…

But now I’m back, and have found out that if I am to get this done before the first Eurovision song contest semi-final on Tuesday the 10th of May, I’ll now have to do 3 songs a day:

Portugal
Homens Da Luta – Luta é alegria

Portugal has been in Eurovision song contest 44 times since 1964, but their best place ever is number 7, and 4 times they haven’t even made it through to the final – and I think that’ll happen again this year. I can’t remember Portugal ever having a song that I liked. Now I’ve started to expect something weird from them every year, and I’m not disappointed this year either. I don’t even understand what this is supposed to be. I quite endorse it when singers sing in their own language, but then at least they’ve got to have a melody that makes sense. Could be that this song is funny in Portuguese, but for the rest of us it just sounds and looks really, really strange. I can’t stand this at all. So:
Portugal – 1 points.



Estonia
Getter Jaani – Rockefeller Street

Estonia has been in Eurovision song contest 16 times since 1994 and they’ve won once, with Tanel Padar, Dave Benton & 2XL singing Everybody in 2001. They’ve also not qualified for the final 6 times. As for this year’s entry: I simply just don’t like it. There’s something about the woman’s voice that just sounds completely wrong in my ears, it’s almost painful to listen to, but the song itself is quite catchy, so perhaps it would’ve been better off with another singer? Who knows. But it is what it is, and this year:
Estonia – 2 points



United Kingdom
Blue – I can

United Kingdom has been participating in all Eurovision song contests except the first year in 1956 and in 1958. They’ve won 5 times, the first time in 1967 with Sandie Shaw singing Puppet on a string, and the last time in 1997 with Katrina and the waves singing Love shine a light. Since they’re one of the Big 4 (one of the four countries that contributes the most towards Eurovision) they don’t need to qualify for the Eurovision song contest final, and this has for many years been fortunate for the United Kingdom. Over the last years they’ve become quite famous for having really horrible entries that ends up near the very bottom of the final list, and shouldn’t really have been in the final in the first place. Which has been a shame, because there are so many great artists and songs that have come out of the United Kingdom. They have huge success with several boybands, and perhaps that is the recipe? This year’s contestant for the United Kingdom is the newly re-united boyband Blue, who had a huge single together with Elton John back in 2002 with the song Sorry seems to be the hardest word. I loved that song, and I love Blue’s entry into Eurovision song contest this year. Finally, for the first time in years, United Kingdom’s got an entry in the contest that they can be proud of, so:
United Kingdom – 10 points

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home