Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Kind of half-way good news...!

So - I got my manuscript for the novel "365 days" back from the publisher Bladkompaniet today. I was of course prepared for it being a rejection when I saw that they'd returned it to me. What I wasn't prepared for was the comments that followed the manusript. I'll try to translate some of it:

We thank you for sending us your manuscript which we've now had the pleasure of reading. I am sorry that it's taken such a long time. Two members of the company has read it - a woman and a man - and we both like your story and your characters. A Norwegian Bridget Jones - why not?

I enclose the statement from one of our readers.
We would like to consider your manuscript again if you would take the time to shorten it a little bit.

Their reader sums up the story of the manuscript and even mentions a few quotes (good ones I guess!!!) from the story, and also says that the author tells the story easily and humorously.

But think about this: they actually liked both the story and the characters, AND they would actually want to re-read the manuscript if I can be bothered to shorten it down a little. What else can I say but wow! I totally understand that it's not given that they'd want to publish it even if I do take the time to shorten it down - but still - this is kind of good critique isn't it??

The bad news is of course that now I'll have to sit down and read the manuscript myself again (it's been 2 or 3 years since the last time) and then start working on it - because I DO think this is an opportunity that I can't miss. If I'm serious about wanting to be a writer - I can't NOT take the time to re-write a manusript when I'm asked to do so by a publisher.

This certainly made my weekend even better!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Roy Søbstad said…

    Lovende!

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hallo Lena!
    Klasse! Jetzt aber "Hopp" und kürze die Story! Hoffe das Buch erscheint nicht nur
    auf norwegisch ;)

    Lone.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home