Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Eurovision: Cyprus, Moldova and Azerbaijan

Cyprus
Christos Mylordos – San Aggelos S’Agapisa
Cyprus has been in the Eurovision Song Contest 28 times since 1981, their best place ever is number 5, and 4 times they’ve not managed to qualify for the Eurovision Final.This year’s entry actually starts out quite nice, like a quiet ballad building up, and I’m thinking: hey, this could be one of the good ones, and then a woman starts screaming… And they’ve lost me, it’s all downhill from there.
Cyprus – 2 points



Moldova
Zdob şi Zdub – So Lucky
Moldova has participated in the Eurovision Song Contest every year since 2005, their best place has been number 6 and once they’ve not managed to qualify for the final. Incidentally the year they did come in as number 6, in 2005, it was the same group as this year that represented Moldova. That time Zdob şi Zdub sang Boonika Bate doba, and I loved it. Yes, I know, some people found that song a bit… noisy, but I thought it was excellent. This year’s entry, So Lucky, sigh… This just is a lot of noise, a lot of singing So Lucky over and over again, without the song really going anywhere. It’s only a 3 minute song, but after half a minute I’m already bored with all the noise. So sorry, but for me this is:
Moldova – 2 points



Azerbaijan
Ell & Nikki – Running Scared
Azerbaijan has a very short Eurovision Song Contest history, and has only participated since 2008. But despite the few appearances, they’ve done very well with an 8th, 3rd and 5th place so far, and I must admit Azerbaijan is now starting to be one of the countries that I expect to have a good song in Eurovision Song Contest. I wasn’t too big a fan of the 2008 entry, but I’ve quite liked both Aysel & Arash – Always in 2009 and Safura – Drip Drop in 2010. How about this year’s entry then… I’m not disappointed! This is even better than the two previous years. It’s such a great ballad, good singers and so well performed. I would not be surprised or disappointed if this ended up being this year’s winner!
Azerbaijan – 10 points


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home