Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Waiting and working

I think I’m pretty close to finishing the piece for my final dissertation for the MA Creative Writing. I’ve got 16388 words from my novel “The Battle” - but as the piece should only be 16000 words I have a decision to make about cutting at the start or at the end of this piece to make it fit the demands.
My commentary is so far 3000 words long, it needs to be 4000 words. I have an idea about what I want to write, I just need to do some more thinking about how to write it. I find that quite often this is very much part of the creative writing process: sitting in a chair thinking about how to write something, lying in bed thinking about how to write something, using the equipment at the local gym thinking about how to write something, driving a car thinking about how to write something… I had hoped that I would’ve finished my commentary by the time I go on another one week vacation on Thursday, but now that doesn’t seem likely.
I am still waiting for my two assessments to be returned from the university, the two assessments I did in connection with the modules this spring. I have been informed that the assessments have been marked and that they’re sent back to me on Monday the 2nd of July, but I still haven’t received them. I’m not comfortable completely finishing my dissertation before I see what the tutors who have marked my assessments have to say about my work – so I’m waiting for the assessments to arrive, but after 3 weeks I fear that they might have got lost in the mail.

Another thing I’m of course waiting for, but trying not to think about that much, is the result from the novel competition I entered this spring. The publisher said in their letter that the result would be announced during July, and there really aren’t that many days left of July now.

I stopped by a book store today and bought “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”. I can hardly wait to read it, but as I need to focus on my dissertation until I leave for my vacation, I’ve decided that this book will be my vacation reading – which means that on day two of my vacation I’m out of books to read! All the other Harry Potter books I’ve read through in one “sitting”, usually 4 – 5 hours, and I don’t expect this will be any different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home