Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Monday, September 10, 2007

In Celebration with Orlando Bloom



On Friday the 31st of August I went to London and saw the play “In Celebration” at the Duke of York’s theatre. For those of you who are new to my blog, I’ll tell you that one of the actors in this play was Orlando Bloom – those of you who read this regularly should already pretty much be aware of this!!

And now I have to write a review, and since I am a huge Orlando fan this is a bit hard – but if I am to say anything about this play, I have to be honest.

The play itself was excellent, really worth while seeing. It’s set in 1969 in one of the mining cities in northern England. A couple is celebrating there 40th anniversary, and in connection with this their 3 sons Steven, Colin and Andrew are coming home for a visit. Steven is the younger, I’d guess in his late 30s, Colin is 2 years older and Andrew is 5 years older. At the beginning everything seems quite nice, we get the impression the sons don’t visit that often, but still everything is nice – and then, at the night of the anniversary, when everyone’s had a bit to drink the skeletons start to fall out of the closet. There was this older brother who died when he was 7 and Andrew was 5. And the mother may or may not have had to marry the father because she got pregnant at 16 – and oh well, I guess all of you know how these stories go.

Tim Healy plays the father, Mr Shaw and he is really very good in this role. Paul Hilton plays Andrew and I must say he is excellent. Most of the other actors do a great job as well, except for… you guessed it, Orlando Bloom.

The character Steven is the youngest of 3 brothers. We learn that he is married and has 4 children, he works as a school teacher. For a long time he’s been working on a book but he’s now given up on this. He really is a very quiet and awkward character, and we understand that he too has a lot of emotional struggles concerning his parents, and especially his mother – but unlike his oldest brother, Andrew, he chooses not to speak about it. So, through the play Orland is on stage quite a lot, he just doesn’t speak much. He keeps walking from one end of the stage to the other, twisting his face a lot, and answering questions with “ay” or “no”. And he is really not a very convincing character. It could be the role of course, but I have to admit, after having seen him in this I’m wondering about his qualities as an actor.

Oh well, you say, you weren’t there to see him act anyway, you were there to stare at his handsome face and body. But here's the thing, he wasn’t really handsome in this play either. His hair was kind of very black and strange, almost looked a bit oily, I guess in the style of that time, and he had the most dreadful moustache. The clothes they’d put on him looked like they were a size to big – and honestly the way he was dressed and the way he looked, for some reason he reminded me of some of the characters out of Monty Python and I kept waiting for him to say something funny. He never did!

I don’t really know why Orlando would want to be in this play in the first place. The role isn’t that big, even though he gets a lot of stage time, but so few lines, and it’s a very awkward role that is a bit in the background of the “big events” with the father and the oldest brother. I’m not sure this was the best of choices for Orlando, when he was going to do his stage debut. This spring I saw Daniel Radcliffe in Equus, and I was so amazed with this young actor and what an excellent theatre actor he turned out to be. So sad I can’t say the same for Orlando after having watched him in this.

I’m still happy I went to see it though, it was a good experience getting to see Orlando live, and I’m still a fan. I just have to realize that he’s only human and not everything he does will be up to the Pirates or Lord of the Rings standard.

And the play in itself was, as I mentioned, very good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home