Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Sunday, September 16, 2007

So fu****

I can’t believe how fu**** I am after having started on this course in Nordic language and literature this autumn. At some point I gathered that it would be a good choice to do this course, I mean, being an aspiring author and all… I thought that studying Nordic literature would be a good idea simply because, well, I’m not very good at doing so on my own. But if someone were to force me, through a course or something, to read Nordic literature, you know, that would be helpful.
So, what I’ve discovered now is that I’ll have a 4 hour written exam on the 27th of November. That’s fine, even though it’s been a couple of years since I last had a written exam. The problem is that this written exam is to be in “Nynorsk”. Everyone in Norway will know that this means trouble, for a person who’s grown up with “Bokmål”. For those foreigners out there; at some point, somewhere in the 1800s, there was a huge debate on what should be the official Norwegian language. At that time the two big options was a Norwegian based on Danish, called “Bokmål” – the other option was a Norwegian based on the Norwegian dialects called “Nynorsk”. Most Norwegians today are taught “Bokmål” in school, but still there is this “funny” rule, that says that everyone has to learn both types of Norwegian. So, when I was still in school, I was taught “Nynorsk”, but I have not read or written anything in it in the last 17 years. And now, in just 2 months, I’ll have to do an exam in it. As if this subject wasn’t tough enough to begin with.

Somehow I’ll have to get through this, but right now, all I can think is that I’m just so fu****, and not in a good way…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home