Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Books, and life… and death…

I’m sure that other people also have trouble settling into everyday life again after a vacation. And this three week vacation in Gran Canaria did turn out very strange too as I had to fly back to Norway for five days for my grandmother’s funeral.

It is still sad that my grandmother is gone, but life goes on. Death is after all a natural part of life, and we should appreciate it when people have gotten to live a quite long life before they move on. Someone asked me if I will be using my grandmother’s death in any of my books, and I said no. But what I probably will be doing is using my own feelings concerning this in some of my books. I have written diaries most of my life, and often when I’m working on my stories it is very useful to go back and touch certain emotions again. And I’m sure I will be doing that with this as well. Some times when I write it is hard to really get the right feelings for the story, and I need to feel it to really be able to convey it to the reader. When this happens I like to read my diary, and draw on parallels in my own life and situations I’ve experienced that remind me about what I’m writing. 

Today I’ve finished a new draft of book number 8, and I think it’s a lot better than the previous. Tomorrow I’ll spend the day thinking about book number 10, and read some history and mythology. The main story for book number 10 is pretty much ready, but I still need some more details, and these details I often find by reading books from that age. I very often feel that there isn’t enough time to do research when I have to finish a new book just about every month, but some of the problem might also be that when I’m not writing or editing one of my books – I often rather spend time watching TV or movies. When I’ve spent a whole day (and sometimes evenings and nights) with the written word, I often get tired and rather want some “simple” entertainment, and then movies and TV series is just the right cure. But, I could’ve used that time to do research instead, so I do have a plan on becoming better at this in the future – even though I sometimes do get a bit fed up with everything written!

But, I guess all people are fed up with their job sometimes? Most of the time I am so happy and feel so privileged that I get to do this – and right now I just can’t wait to get started on book number 10. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home