Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Eurovision Song Contest: Poland, Ireland and Turkey

Poland
Magdalena
Tul - Jestem
Poland first appeared in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1994, and has only missed one competition since. Their best place was actually in their first year, in 1994, when they came in number 2, in the last 6 years, they've only managed to qualify for the final once.
This year’s entry is one of those songs that I don’t hate, but don’t exactly love either, there are a lot of those this year. The song’s got a good beat and it’s just… ok.
Poland – 4 points


Ireland
Jedward - Lipstick

Ireland entered the Eurovision Song Contest in 1965 and has only missed out on 2 competitions since then. They have won the competition an amazing 7 times, 4 of these victories came in a time period of 5 years: 1992 – 1993 – 1994 and 1996, which also was the last time they won. In the last 6 years, they've not qualified for the final 3 times, and when they have qualified they have not done very well. Some of the best Eurovision songs have come out of Ireland, like: Niamh Kavanagh – In your eyes (winner song of 1993) and Eimear Quinn – The Voice (winner song in 1996). And of course, Johnny Logan, the most winning artist in Eurovision Song Contest history is also from Ireland. He won the competition for Ireland in 1980 with the song What’s another year, and then again in 1987 with the song Hold me now. He also wrote the winning song of 1992, Why me?, it was performed by Linda Martin.
Ireland is one of my favourite countries, and just not in Eurovision Song Contest, it just is a great country where I love to go. And so much good music, good IRISH music, has come out of this country. I guess that is why I've always got so huge expectations that we’re going to get something great and IRISH from Ireland, but quite often I am disappointed, which is what’s happening this year.
The first time I heard Jedward performing Lipstick I just thought. NO! I want something else from Ireland, I hate this. Well, I've come to realize, I don’t really hate the song, it’s not bad, it’s not half bad actually, but it still nags me that this is Ireland and the song is not typically Irish so:
Ireland – 4 points

Turkey
Yüksek Sadakat – Live it up

Turkey has participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 32 times since their first entry in 1975. They’ve won the competition once, in 2003, with the excellent song Everyway that I can sung by Sertab Erener. They have never failed to qualify for the final, and their worst place ever is number 22. There has been some truly great songs that have come from Turkey in the contest: Athena - For Real (number 4 in 2004), Kenan Doğulu – Shake it up Şekerim (number 4 in 2007) Hadise – Düm Tek Tek (number 4 in 2009).
This year’s entry is also something I quite like. A light rock’n roll song, reminding me a bit about lots of stuff I've heard before, stuff I've liked, so that is maybe why I like this as well. Not the best song ever, but still something I can hear more than once:
Turkey – 5 points


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home