Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Eurovision Song Contest: Belarus, Georgia and FYR Macedonia

Belarus
Anastasiya Vinnikova – I love Belarus

Belarus had their début in Eurovision Song contest in 2004 and has been in every contest since then, though never done very well. 5 out of 7 times they've not managed to qualify for the final, but they did end up as number 6 in 2007 with Dmitry Koldun – Work your magic, which I didn’t find half bad at the time, I quite liked it. This year though:
The melody is not the worst I've heard, quite fast and rhythmic, but then the refrain comes... and honestly… I love Belarus??? What kind of a refrain is that for a Eurovision song, it’s just… I can’t see myself singing along with this song this summer, humming to myself whilst out walking I love Belarus…?? Come on! But as I said, the melody is ok, with some other lyrics this might have been a bit better, but for now:
Belarus – 3 points



Georgia
Eldrine – One more day

Georgia has been in Eurovision song contest 3 times since they first entered in 2007, and I must admit they haven’t manage to make a lasting impression on me so far. They have ended up as number 12 – 11 and 9, and the song this year I don’t even think will make it to the final.
It doesn't start out too bad, but then Eldrine gets to the refrain, and it just seems like they’re trying too hard, and then there’s the rap… it seems to be one of the huge things in Eurovision this year, so far I’ve counted 3 – 4 songs doing that, and I still don’t care much for it. This song ends up being a little bit all over the place, but it’s got its moments so:
Georgia – 3 points



F.Y.R Macedonia
Vlatko llievski – Rusinka

F.Y.R Macedonia first entered the Eurovision song contest in 1998 and has participated 10 times since then. Except for the last 2 years when they didn't qualify for the final, they usually seem to end up somewhere in the lower half of the final list. And this year, well, I do think they’ll make it through to the final, how far up on the final list they’ll end I don’t know, but I'm pretty sure they won’t win.
I always give at least one extra point to the countries that sing in their own language, as they do with Rusinka. Huge parts of this song is actually not half bad, there is a part about two thirds in that I could do without, but other than that I find this song quite catchy and I can’t help but mostly like it.
F.Y.R Macedonia – 6 points


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home