Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Eurovision Song Contest: Romania, Iceland and Malta

Romania
Hotel FM - Change

Romania first entered the Eurovision Song Contest in 1994 and has participated 12 times since then. They’ve come in 3rd place twice, in 2005 and 2010, and their worst place is number 22. My personal favourite from Romania ended up as number 10 in 2003, Nicola – Don’t Break My Heart.
This year’s entry for Romania is just a bit too naïve for me. It’s not truly bad, the song is ok and doesn’t hurt to listen to, but still, it doesn’t really do the trick for me.
Romania – 4 points


Iceland
Sjonni’s Friends – Coming home

Iceland’s first year in Eurovision Song Contest was in 1986 and they’ve only missed out on once competition since. They’ve ended up in 2nd place twice, in 1999 and 2009, 3 times they’ve failed to qualify for the final. I found it truly unfair that they didn’t qualify in 2007 when Eiríkur Hauksson sung Valentine Lost. I also really loved Iceland’s entry last year, Hera – Je ne sais quoi, and I thought it would’ve done a lot better than number 19 in the competition, what a voice!!
Being from Norway of course means that I am paying a bit extra attention to the participants from the Nordic countries (Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland) and often I find that I like them, probably because we have pretty much the same cultural background and history and thus also have the same music culture. And I also want them to be good! But Icealand, I’m sorry, this is probably a year when you won’t qualify for the final. The song is ok, but nothing more or less, even though I’m trying to like this.
Iceland – 4 points


Malta
Glen Vella – One life

Malta participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 3 times in the 70s, but after that withdrew from the competition. They had their come-back in 1991 and has been in every competition since. Their best places are as number 3, in 1992 and 1998, 3 times over the last 4 years they’ve failed to qualify for the final. One of my personal favourites is from Malta and was their 2001 entry, when Fabrizio Faniello sung Another Summer Night.
As usual I quite expected another huge ballad out of Malta, because quite often that seem to be what they do for Eurovision, and they really have some great singers on that tiny island. This year however, it’s not a ballad, and this is one of those happy, swinging songs that I quite like.
Malta – 5 points

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home