Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Friday, July 01, 2005

What language do you dream in?

I guess it's the morning for more of less serious questions to be asked and perhaps solved? I've already asked about where the birds go when their lives come to an end, the other thing I'm also occasionally wondering about is: if you're bi-lingual, which language do you dream in? I asked my uncle Hans this once. He is German, but he has lived in Norway for more than 15 years, and he speaks Norwegian really well - so I asked him, do you dream in German or Norwegian? He just couldn't tell! Some say that you don't dream in languages, but only in pictures, I'm not entirly convinced about that.

Besides, I've got the story to prove it isn't so, because even before I started learning English this happened to me:

When I was 6 and came into the kitchen to my mother in the morning, I told her "Mother, this night I had a very strange dream", and she of course asked me what it had been about where to I answered "I'm not sure. It was in English so I didn't understand any of it!"

So, I for one is convinced that it is possible to dream in other languages than your native one!!! :-)

1 Comments:

  • At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Lena

    As you know I've been living in France for the last 7 years, and I dream in Norwegian and in French, it all depends on where the dream takes place!

    Take care, see you at Kynndammen next week-end,

    Hugs, Gunlaug

     

Post a Comment

<< Home