Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Thunderstorms – notebook entry on 11th of July 2006

Thunderstorms, I hate them and I love them! I’ve never been especially terrified of thunder and lightning, growing up with a father who would sometimes wake me at night so that I could come watch the beauty of it I’ve always been used to this kind of weather. It really is beautiful the way the light so spectacularly cuts through the pitch black night and all the sounds that follows. I love the sight of it – BUT not when it’s too close!

When the thunderstorm gets too close it touches something fundamental in me, something at the core of being human I think. I believe it’s been there since the dawn of human kind. Back then people didn’t know why there was thunder and lightning and they would fear what they did not understand. It’s only in the last couple of hundred years or so that we’ve come to understand what causes weather and have learnt that most thunderstorms (well, the kinds we have in south-eastern Norway anyway) are very very rarely dangerous. Still, I guess it’s a heritage from our ancestors stretching thousands of years into the past that scares us.

At least I think that must be the case with me, because when it was getting pretty close this night I asked myself “What is it really that you fear, that it’s going to strike this house?” I thought about it and felt my feelings so to speak, and I just didn’t know – I just felt worried and slightly afraid, far from hysterical though. As I said, I’m not very scared in this type of weather, I love it at a distance, it’s only when it gets too close that I might start to hate it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home