Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

2 days to go

So you’re probably looking for some posting here saying that I’m so nervous and stressed out about moving to England? Well, I am stressed out, not so much about the move it self, that still feels unreal, but the packing is killing me! I called British Airways today to ask them if there was anything special I would have to think about when coming to the airport on Friday morning as I will be travelling with about 50 kilos of luggage. Here’s how that conversation went:

Me: “I’ll be travelling to England on Friday morning, and as I’m moving to England for a year I will be bringing quite a bit more luggage than normal, I’d guess about 50 kilos. Is there anything special I should think about before travelling?”
BA lady: “Just make sure to get to the airport early for check in”
Me: “And that’s all?”
BA lady: “Yes that’s all”
Me: “OK then…..”
BA lady: “Oh, did you say you’ll be travelling with 50 kilos?”
Me: “Yes, about 50 kilos, in 2 suitcases and a laptop bag, I’ll obviously bring the laptop bag on board but I want to send the 2 suitcases as normal luggage”
BA lady: “I’m not sure if you’ll be allowed to bring that much luggage, 50 kilos?”
Me: “Yes, 50 kilos – who then can tell me if I’ll be allowed to bring this much luggage?”
BA lady: “I think you should call our cargo department in Sweden”
Me: “But that means that the suitcases won’t be on the same plane as me and I’ll have to go back to the airport and pick them up later?”
BA lady: “Yes that is correct”
Me: “Well, that’s no good to me, because that will be a lot more extra work for me to get to the airport to pick it up”
BA lady: “I think you should call our cargo department”
Me: “Who can I talk to who can tell me exactly how much luggage I am allowed to bring with me on the plane on Friday?”
BA lady: “I think 50 kilos is to much”
Me: “Who can I talk to who can tell me how much I can bring?”
BA lady: “I think you’d better call our cargo department”
Me: “Who can I talk to that can tell me how much I can bring on the plane on Friday?”
BA lady: “I’m really not sure but I think 50 kilos is more than you’ll be allowed to bring on the plane, you should call our cargo department!”
Me: “Who can I…..? Oh, well, thank you SO very much for your service, bye!”

So, yes, I gave up talking with this lady, I mean, honestly, why haven’t they got anyone who can tell me how much I really am allowed to bring on board on Friday. I mean, I’ve read all their rules and regulations about luggage, and it does not say anywhere that 50 kilos is too much. Obviously there is a limit, or people might be arriving at the airport with 500 kilos or something, but 50 kilos really isn’t that much. Two normal suitcases easily weigh 20 – 22 kilos when they’re full, and my laptop alone weighs nearly 5 kilos.

What I have done though, is gone through my luggage one more time, and now I’m down to the two suitcases weigh in total 34 kilos, and then there’s the laptop bag. I have bought these “carry on” packages from the post office: you pay 290 kr for a box that you can put things in, up to 10 kilos, and then you can send it anywhere in Europe. I’ve bought two of these, and my mum will send them to me in England when I’m settled and have got a permanent address there.

What annoys me right now is that because I got so frustrated with the BA lady (who also for some reason spoke very poorly English!) I forgot to ask just exactly how much I’ll have to pay for each kilo extra that I bring on the plane. I’m guessing about 50 kr pr kilo, but I could of course be very very wrong which will make this move a lot more expensive than I thought. Oh, well, I’ll find out on Friday I guess – and I’m just hoping that I’ll be allowed to bring a little less than 40 kilos with me – because obviously, no one at BA is able to tell me if I may or may not do this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home