Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Monday, May 09, 2011

Eurovision Song Contest: Finland, Bosnia & Herzegovina and France

Finland
Paradise Oskar – Da Da Dam

Finland has only missed out on 6 competitions since their debut in Eurovision Song Contest in 1961. They’ve won it once, in 2006, with Lordi – Hard Rock Hallelujah, and they’ve failed to qualify for the final 3 times.
I really loved the Finish winning song of 2006. I admit, I never thought it would win, even though I loved it, because it just seem to be going too far, for Eurovision that is, but I was thrilled when it did win. For me Finland is one of the countries in Eurovision Song Contest that very often have strange entries, and except for the 2007 entry when Hanna Pakarinen sung Leave me alone, I haven’t really liked the Finish entries much.
And now, in 2011, we’ve got Paradise Oskar humming himself through a song, and I’m not a huge fan. This is not one of the strange entries though, to me it’s just a bit boring, but I do recognise that it’s not necessarily a bad song even though it doesn’t make it to the top of my list. Hard to say where this will end up in the contest really.
Finland – 4 points


Bosnia & Herzegovina
Dino Merlin – Love in rewind

Bosnia & Herzegovina has participated in the Eurovision Song Contest since 1993. Their best place is as number 3 in 2006 and their worst as number 22 in 1996.
Love in rewind is a bit… curious… I’ve had a hard time deciding if I like this or not, and ended up thinking I mostly like it, at least I like it more than I hate it, not one of my top songs this year though. For some reason I keep thinking that I might have liked this more if it had been sung in Dino Merlin’s native language.
Bosnia & Herzegovina – 4 points


France
Amaury Vassili - Sognu

France is one of the countries that has been in the Eurovision Song Contest since the beginning in 1956 and since then they’ve only stayed away for 2 years. They’ve won it 5 times, between 1958 and 1977, and their worst place is number 24.
France is one of the big 5 countries, that is one of the countries that is automatically qualified for the final (together with United Kingdom, Germany, Spain and Italy) because of their financial contribution to Eurovision.
Except for last year when Jessy Matador sung Allez Ola Olé, I’ve never really liked much of the French entries in Eurovision Song contest. This year I recognise that Sognu is a huge song, sung by a man with a huge voice and he deserves credit for that, and I quite like that he sings in Corsican as well. Not bad.
France – 5 points

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home