Life, the universe and ... oh, whatever ...

Friday, May 19, 2006

Will they ever rule the world?

We’ve got cats. We used to have 6, now we’ve only got 3. And I just love cats. They very often make me curious about just how much of the world they do understand.

This evening I was watching our male cat, Darwin (he’s 11 years old in June), sleeping actually, and suddenly I started thinking. I know us humans used to be not so awfully clever once upon a time, but that we’ve evolved into whatever creatures we are today, somewhat more clever than we used to be. If the world goes on some what in the same fashion as today, for another 3 – 4000 years, will cats evolve too? Not that I think that they will start talking and reason like us humans do today, but will they become smarter? Or will they, because they are domestic and taken care of in all aspects of life, just stay the same, because they don’t have to fend for themselves?

As I really love cats, I’d like to think that they will evolve and will become smarter than they are today, but what if they’re already smarter than we give them credit for – then what, if they indeed to become even smarter? Will future humans one day wake up and have their cat standing by their bed shouting at them: “hey, lazy, I’m used to getting my breakfast at 6 in the morning. I know this is a Saturday, but that’s no need for you to not make me my breakfast on time” or something like that…..

1 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nå kam jo bare se på "Red Dwarf" for å se hva som skjer når katter får tatt en runde i den evolusjonære vaskemaskinen :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home